Tuesday, November 18, 2008

108


What does the number 108 mean to you? The temperature outside in the middle of a scorching summer? The amount of miles left to drive before reaching your favorite vacation spot? The number of stories in a building you will never enter, let alone ride to the top floor in an elevator? How about the number of paces you must precisely step to find buried treasure?

I bet, when you thought of the number 108, you never dreamed it was the number of fat grams in a Hardees Monster Thickburger! I know, it never crossed my mind either. Can you believe it? If THAT doesn't make you sick, the amount of calories in this burger will surly do the trick! Ready for this? 1,420 Calories!! Yep, you got it! Believe me, I took a double-take myself, when I saw that astronomical number.

I was doing a little research for a Persuasive Speech in my COMM class coming up, and I thought I'd try to persuade my audience (my teacher and classmates) that fast food is bad for you. (even though it's a no-brainer). I never, in my wildest imagination, thought there was so much crap in the on-the-go convenience slop we all call 'fast food'!

I used to salivate every time a Micky D's or Wendy's commercial came on TV. Now, I feel sick to my stomach at the mere sight of a value meal! So, the next time I'm driving through town in the middle of the lunch rush, and I smell the odors of steaming french fries and fresh, made-to-order sandwiches, I'll think to myself, "108, 108, 108". Then, I'll pity all the folks waiting in the long line of cars at the drive-thru of the local Fast-Food joints, and I'll zip home to whip me up some fast food for myself...salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers and olives spritzed with lemon juice. Then I'll fry me up a veggie burger (in olive oil) and smother it with onions and mustard. Now THAT makes my mouth water!

Maybe then, the number 108 will mean something else to me...my weight! Ha, I know, that's funny isn't it? Never gonna happen...

...well I DO know this, it certainly won't happen eating fast food!

No comments: