Saturday, November 15, 2008

"This I Believe"


"This I Believe: The Remarkable Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women."

A wonderful book of essays, written by everyday people, with the intent to express their beliefs. I was so intrigued by the different perceptions each author displayed as they graciously allowed the world to understand even the smallest of beliefs they hold so dear.

I thought I was going to read different perspectives on religious and political belief systems, instead I came away learning much more about humanity. For instance, why one woman believes everyone should have flowers on their grave, and another feeling that the pizza delivery guy should always be generously tipped. The reasons behind these different feelings allowed me to feel a sense of respect for my fellow man. It allowed me to believe that there IS goodness in this world filled with hate and terror.

The following excerpt is from an essay titled: "A Shared Moment of Trust" by Warren Christopher. I'm not sure why it struck me so profoundly, however it allowed me to see the truth in his words.

"One night recently, I was driving down a two-lane high-way at about sixty miles an hour. A car approached from the opposite direction, at about the same speed. As we passed each other, I caught the other driver's eye for only a second.

I wondered whether he might be thinking, as I was, how dependent we were on each other at that moment. I was relying on him not to fall asleep, not to be distracted by a cell phone conversation, not to cross over into my lane and bring my life suddenly to an end. And though we had never spoken a word to one another, he relied on me in just the same way...
...I have come to believe that there are moments when one must rely upon the good faith and judgement of others. So, while each of us faces - at one time or another - the prospect of driving alone down a dark road, what we must learn with experience is that the approaching light may not be a threat, but a shared moment of trust."

I love this book! Check it out of the library or buy it for your own collection. You won't be disappointed as you learn the different perspectives on belief! Trust me!

Until then,
Emily.

Post Script: You can click on this book on my bookshelf to learn more!

No comments: